If you know me in real life, you know that I workout a lot. I am almost always at one of the two gyms I belong to or working on my martial arts training. I think a lot of people find going to the gym off-putting, though. And I get it. I really, truly get it. Joining and actually getting the motivation to go to a gym can be a hard step to take for some people and I was one of those people that was completely uncomfortable at first, too. True story – ask anyone.
But do you know what? When it comes to losing weight and getting fit, you don’t necessarily have to go to the gym and spend hours sweating away calories to make any kind of difference. Believe it or not, there are plenty of ways to burn calories throughout the day without setting foot in a gym. Breaking a sweat is optional.
Here are some of the easiest ways to burn some calories throughout the day:
- Fidget. That’s right, it may have gotten you scolded as a child, but those of you who pace or bounce your knees up and down are potentially burning up to 350 extra calories during the day.
- Drink your 8 glasses of water, and make sure they are ice cold. Your body has to expend calories to heat that water up to body temperature.
- Eat spicy foods. Chili gives your metabolism a boost, causing you to burn more calories.
- Shop till you drop. Yep, shopping burns calories! To get the most out of this activity, park your car at the far end of the parking lot to get some extra walking in. Hauling groceries in and out of the car burns even more.
- Those chores you are doing aren’t just making your house look good, they are burning calories, too. With that in mind, put a little more bounce in your step, and don’t spare any elbow grease. Hey, if you are going to be doing the chores anyway, why not take advantage of the potential weight-loss benefits?
- Turn a night out into a work out. Dancing is a great way to have fun and burn calories at the same time. Not the clubbing type? That’s okay, draw the shades, turn on your favorite tunes and dance by yourself for a few minutes.
- Laugh it up. Laughing has many proven health benefits, and it burns calories too. Watch some stand up comedy or do a funny movie marathon and let loose with some serious belly laughs. Not only will you burn calories, you will feel great!
Try being as intentional as possible with any physical activities throughout your day. Studies showed that groups of people who were educated about the amount of calories their activities burned actually ended up burning even more, without changing their routine.