Now that the weather has warmed up, summer is in full swing and that means picnics, camping, cookouts and my personal favorite thing about summer – the beach! These are the activities that make it Summer, and make for great memories. Taking the kids to the beach can be so much fun, but if you aren’t properly prepared, it can end in sunburns and tears.
To get the most out of your day at the beach, and to keep everyone safe and happy, here is a comprehensive list of what you must have with you. Keep in mind that the list may vary depending on the ages of your children, but there are some things that will apply regardless of age:
- Sunscreen, sunscreen, sunscreen. And hats. And protective clothing. Kid skin is delicate, especially if your children are fair-skinned. Come home from the beach with sea shells, and maybe some sand, but no sunburn!
- More towels than you think you will need.
- Extra clothing, for a sand-free ride home.
- Water. Fill some bottles up and stick them in the freezer.
- Snacks. Preferably snacks that are bite-size. This way, if some of them find their way on to the ground, you won’t have lost the whole thing.
- Toys that you (and your kids) won’t mind getting dirty or lost.
- Swim diapers for your toddlers. Bring more than you think you’ll need. Bring plenty of wipes.
- Zip-lock bags, the big ones. Perfect for wet clothes, snacks, and anything you don’t want to get sandy or wet.
- A first aid kit. Cuts and scrapes happen, and it is a good idea to have antibacterial cream and bandages on hand just in case.
- An umbrella.
- $20. You never know when the ice cream man is going to drive up & park right in front of where your family is set up.
This may seem like a lot of stuff to haul with you, but you will be glad you came prepared! This list is also good for a day at the lake, park or anywhere where there is dirt, sun and water. Oh, and don’t forget your camera.