**I received product a no charge in order to facilitate this post. All opinions expressed here are strictly my own and were not influenced in any way**
If you know me in real life, you already know that I am completely hooked on Dunkin Donuts coffee. I am not exaggerating when I tell you that I am there every single day – at least once. Usually I stop at one of their restaurants for coffee a couple of times a day, though. I am really lucky because where I live, I have four Dunkin Donuts shops within a few miles of my house. Sometimes I just don’t feel like leaving the house to get my coffee from one of their shops, so thankfully Dunkin’ Donuts has K-Cups available so that I can have a cup at home any time I want!
Dunkin’ Donuts’ has made one of its boldest additions ever to its coffee lineup, with Rainforest Alliance Certified™ DarkRoast Coffee which is now available at Dunkin’ Donuts restaurants nationwide.
Dunkin’ Donuts’ new Dark Roast Coffee uses a unique roasting process to bring out key characteristics of different beans, creating a bold flavor and the smooth finish without the bitterness typically associated with most dark roast coffees. When you go to a Dunkin’ Donuts shop, you can enjoy the new Dark Roast Coffee served either hot or iced, but it is also available for sale for brewing at home in both packaged coffee and in K-Cup® packs.
Dunkin’ Donuts new Dark Roast Coffee features the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal, indicating that it is made with at least 30% coffee beans sourced from Rainforest Alliance Certified farms. The Rainforest Alliance is an international nonprofit organization that works to conserve biodiversity and ensure sustainable livelihoods. Rainforest Alliance certification helps to protect wildlife; safeguard soils and waterways; and improve quality of life for workers, their families and local communities in order to achieve true, long-term sustainability.
Plus, it’s seriously delicious!
The folks at Dunkin’ Donuts sent me over some Coffee Myths from Jim Cleaves, Dunkin’ Donuts’ Coffee Excellence Manager, which I thought were pretty interesting and wanted to share with you:
1. Does darker roast coffee = higher caffeine?
NO! Caffeine content is actually the same before and after roasting. There are minimal differences between dark roasts and lighter roasts of coffee, which can often be surprising to people.
2. It is okay to store coffee in your fridge?
NO! Coffee absorbs flavors and aromas of anything around it, which means that your coffee may end up tasting like some leftovers in your fridge. Store some of your coffee in an airtight container and then store the rest in the freezer, where it won’t pick up any meat or fish flavoring.
3. Why can I never brew coffee at home that tastes as good as coffee served at the restaurant?
You can! Mix two tablespoons of coffee per six ounces of water. If you’re grinding your own beans, be sure to not grind your coffee too fine as this will If you find your coffee to be too strong, just add some hot water!
And if that wasn’t enough, did you know you could bake with the new Dunkin’ Dark Roast? Check out this awesome recipe they sent me:
Double Dark Roast Pie
1-9 oz. pack of chocolate wafer cookies
½ cup Dunkin’ Donuts Dark Roast Coffee, ground
½ tsp. salt
1 stick unsalted butter (4 oz.), melted
3 cups whole milk
¼ cup Dunkin’ Donuts Dark Roast Coffee, ground
2 boxes of instant chocolate pudding
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- To make crust, combine cookies, Dunkin’ Donuts Dark Roast grounds and salt in a food processor. Blend until the cookies are fine crumbs.
- While running the food processor, pour in the melted butter until the crumbs come together as a loose mass.
- Pack your crust in a 10” pie plate and bake at 350°F for 15-20 min, or until the crust is set.
- Let crust fully cool before adding filling.
- To make the filling, combine the milk and Dark Roast coffee in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave the milk-coffee mixture until it is just hot to the touch. Give the mixture a stir and place the bowl in the refrigerator to cool. Let the milk and coffee sit together for a few hours, at least 2 hours and as long as 24 hours (make sure to cover the bowl if letting sit longer than 2 hours).
- Pour the coffee milk through a fine mesh sieve. Reserve the milk and toss the coffee grounds.
- Combine the milk and instant pudding, whisking it to prevent lumps. Mix until the filling thickens.
- Pour filling into the cooled crust, smoothing the filling so it fills the crust in an even layer.
- Place a piece of plastic wrap directly onto the filling to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate the pie for 1-2 hours, or until it is fully set.
- Decorate your pie with whipped cream or non-dairy whipped topping as desired and dig in!
The new Dunkin’ Donuts dark-roast coffee is delicious. I think it is even better if you have it with a Dunkin’ Donuts donut, though. Just sayin’.
The new coffee variety is served hot or iced, and is available in both packaged coffee and in K-Cup packs.
Win it: One lucky Masshole Mommy reader is going to win an exclusive gift basket full of Dark Roast samples, Dunkin’ Donuts swag and a $25 Dunkin’ Donuts gift card!
Since it’s the holiday season, I am going to make this awesome prize super easy to win. All you have to do is leave me a comment telling me about a fun holiday tradition that your family has.
Winner has 48 hours to respond before a new winner is chosen.
This giveaway will end at 9 pm (EST) on 12/16/14 and is open to US residents. The winner will be chosen via random.org and will be notified by email. Thanks again to the folks at Dunkin’ Donuts for offering this fantastic giveaway!