Did you know that you can make your own play dough? My kids have always loved it and I make my own pretty regularly – for home and some to send into the kids classrooms. Recently I decided to make candy Corn play dough for my kids to play with here at home. What a fun fall craft!
The 2 main ingredients I used to make the playdoh were cornstarch and hair conditioner. I know it sounds unbelievable and I was definitely skeptical at first, but it really works!! Some of the recipes I have read about on play dough say to use 2 parts cornstarch to 1 part conditioner. I think that’s going to depend on what type of conditioner you use. I used the VO5 brand and I found that I needed close to 2 1/2 cups of cornstarch with 1 cup (8 oz.) of conditioner. So the exact measurements are going to depend on what type of hair conditioner you use. Just play around with your ingredients until you get your desired texture.
This recipe will yield approximately 3 cups of candy corn play dough.
Candy Corn Play Dough
Here’s what you need:
- 2 parts cornstarch
- 1 part hair conditioner
- Yellow food gel
- Orange food gel
Here’s what you do:
1. Add 2 cups of corn starch to a large mixing bowl. Pour 1 cup of hair conditioner into the bowl and stir with a spatula until the mixture forms into a ball.
2. Divide the playdoh into three equal sections. Place two of the sections into separate medium mixing bowls.
3. Add orange food color to one of the sections and mix well to distribute the color. Or if you prefer, you can knead with your hands.
4. Add yellow food color to the other section in a bowl and mix well.
5. Once your desired colors are achieved, lay the orange, yellow and white playdoh on a silicone mat and form into balls, candy corn or whatever shapes you desire!
6. The dollar store sells small round containers that you can store your candy corn playdoh in or you can just keep the playdoh in Ziploc bags.
My little one has some sensory issues and loves it when I make play dough for him. It literally keeps him busy for hours.
Do your kids love play dough? Have you ever made your own before?