After the kids are in bed for the night, I truly enjoy sitting down in front of the boob tube and binging on some of my favorite shows. After a day of being a mom, it’s nice to watch something that’s kind of anti-fairy tail, you know? Without a doubt, my favorite show to indulge in is American Horror Story. It is one of the craziest shows on TV and has definitely proved itself to be one of the greatest shows, ever. There are twists and turns galore and I am literally on the edge of my seat the entire time. If you need any more convincing, here are some reasons why you should be watching American Horror Story.
1. Each season is a separate story. Each season tells a different story, beginning to end, in just 12 episodes. Each season that airs now is starting to reveal tie-ins to previous seasons. I read somewhere that in the end everything will tie in together, so it actually excites me when a connection to a previous season comes up. The the first real connection was Pepper in Season 2, Asylum. There she was a patient at Briarcliff Manor, but in Season 4, Freak Show, we saw that that Pepper was performer with Elsa’s Cabinet of Curiosities. Since then there have been many more and I am positive that there will be more to come.
2. Recurring cast. You will see many familiar faces from season to season, but since the stories change, their characters do as well. So while you see see many of the same actors each year, they may not be taking on a lead role as they did in previous seasons. You just never know.
3. It’s actually not scary. Creepy as h-e-double-hockey-sticks, yes, but scary – no.
4. It will keep you guessing. American Horror Story is a crazy mix of sex, witty humor and the macabre. I can’t tell you how many nights after watching it that my husband will lay in bed and just recap what happened because honestly, it’s hard to process sometimes. As I mentioned the seasons of AHS are short, so each episode is jam-packed with all kinds of plot twists – many of which you will never see coming.
5. Some of the characters in the show are based on real people. In Season 2 we meet two of them: Anne Frank and sadistic doctor Dr. “Arden”, who was based on historical figure from the Holocaust. Marie Laveau in season 3 (Coven) was rumored to be a voodoo witch. There are also many references in the first season to Hollywood murder cases including the unsolved murder of Elizabeth Short, known as the Black Dahlia
6. Evan Peters. This guy is a really, really great actor. His roles on the show have varied dramatically each season (everything from a serial killer to a ghost) and he nails every single one of them.
7. Lots of cameos! From Neil Patrick Harris to Stevie Nicks (who played herself) to Adam Levine to Eric Stonestreet (Cam on Modern Family) – there are lots of appearances from special guests on American Horror Story. It makes it fun to watch because you never know who is going to show up.
8. It’s totally binge worthy! It’s hard to take a break in between episodes, so it’s nice that the seasons are short and you can totally binge an entire season on Netflix in one day.
Whenever I talk with someone about American Horror Story, one thing I always get asked is what my favorite season is. Until this past season, My Roanoke Nightmare, my favorite season was #3 – Coven, but now I think Roanoke is my favorite. My least favorite was Freak Show and no, it’s not because of the clown! I just feel like there was a better direction they could have gone in as opposed to the way it played out.
Have you seen American Horror Story? What was your favorite season?
Note: I am a member of the Netflix StreamTeam. As part of the #streamteam, I have received product and complimentary service, but all opinions are 100% my own.