Truth be told, I am not big on eating breakfast. Food doesn’t sit well with me until at least two hours after I wake up, so it’s hard for me to eat before 9 am. I know it’s important to eat in the morning and that is where I developed my love of smoothies. Being a busy mom on the go, I can’t leave for the day without putting something in my tummy and smoothies are perfect because they are not overly heavy. One of my favorites is this healthy Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie. It’s satisfying, filling and I love that it sticks with me all morning long so that my tummy isn’t rumbling around 11 am! How embarrassing. Plus smoothies are super easy to make, so you can whip one up in a jiffy and be out the door in no time.
Healthy Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Here’s what you need:
- 3 tbsp. of peanut butter (add more to taste)
- 1 small banana
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 plain vanilla Greek yogurt
- 3 tbsp. of rolled oats (Don’t use oatmeal – the texture will turn out funky. Add more rolled oats for something thicker)
- Handful of chocolate chips
- Handful of ice
Here’s what you do:
1. Mix all ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Add more ice if you want to make it colder.
2. Serve fresh and drink in one sitting for best results!
3. Enjoy for breakfast or as a snack!
Tip: For an even healthier version, try powdered peanut butter (my favorite is PB2), which has less fat, calories, and oils compared to regular peanut butter. You simply mix it with water to get a good consistency. As a bonus, it is just made of crushed peanuts.
I really love my healthy Peanut Butter and Banana Smoothie in the mornings. It is the perfect way to start my day. Do you love smoothies, too? What is your favorite kind?