Maine is a beautiful state full of rich history and natural sights to enjoy. If you’re planning a day trip or vacation this summer to the Northeastern state of Maine, then you’ll want to read on for the top 10 things to do while in this beautiful state.
- Portland Museum of Art – enjoy over 18,000 works of art within this museum that covers artwork from the 18th Century to present day.
- Cape Neddick Nubble Lighthouse – built in 1837, this lighthouse is located on a rocky island and offers tours as well as a gift shop for tourists.
- Coastal Maine Botanical Gardens – a family-friendly location that includes a Fairy House Village for the kids, this botanical garden is a must-see while in Maine.
- West Quoddy Head Light – this historic lighthouse is the most famous one in Maine that was built in 1808 and still attracts many tourists.
- Old Orchard Beach – full of amusement park rides, sandy beaches and many places to enjoy seafood, this is one of the most popular beach locations that bring tourists every summer.
- Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village – established in 1783 this is the oldest active Shaker Village located in the United States that offers you a view of many historical buildings.
- Fort Knox and Penobscot Narrows Observatory – built to defend the Penobscot River from the British in 1844, this is well-maintained historical sight to see in Maine.
- Ogunquit Playhouse – established in 1933 this old theater playhouse shows 5-6 presentations every summer that you must experience during your trip to Maine.
- Acadia National Park – many natural sights to enjoy with a car ride tour or bus tour at this National Park that offers more than 100 miles of hiking trails too.
- Kennebunkport – full of galleries and a still-active fishing village, this area in Maine is a must see to step back in time and enjoy a bite to eat at the many restaurants here.
This list of 10 things to do while in Maine was hard to make, as the list could go on forever. Maine is a beautiful state that offers plenty of sandy beaches on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean while also offering many historical sights to see. This state will not disappoint you and you may have to come back again to see all that Maine has to offer.