Nantucket houses 10,000 people permanently but is a known getaway for many tourists looking to enjoy vacation with the family. Located about 16 miles from Cape Cod, this Massachusetts location brings much joy to anyone who ventures to Nantucket. Today I am sharing 25 things to do in Nantucket so that you are inspired to travel this summer and enjoy all that Nantucket has to offer.
- Whaling Museum – tour this fully restored candle factory that was in working order until the 1860’s when whaling was outlawed.
- Jetties Beach – this Nantucket beach is located on the north shore and is perfect for the children with tennis courts, a playground and a skateboard park.
- Sankaty Head Light – this beautiful light house that was built in 1850 was brought up to the times with automation in 1965 but still is a sight to see in Nantucket.
- Nantucket Atheneum – the original library was destroyed by fire in 1846 but rebuilt in the same location and is a sight to see for anyone who loves architecture.
- The Old Mill – this smock mill is the only one in Nantucket where you can take a historical tour of the mill and surrounding buildings.
- Loines Observatory – enjoy the night sky while the astronomers help you view the sky in ways you’ve never experienced before at this Nantucket location.
- Coskata-Coatue Wildlife Refuge – see rare birds and hundreds of osprey that reside in this refuge that also offers activities for all ages.
- Cisco Brewers – enjoy this vineyard, brewery and distillery all in one location as you enjoy learning about the creation process of every brew.
- Surfside Beach – located on the southern shore of Nantucket you’ll find this beach location that offers watersports and a lengthy beach area.
- Shipwreck & Lifesaving Museum – a location that preserves the memory of those who died risking their lives to save the mariners who were caught in storms at sea.
- Jethro Coffin House – also referred to as “Old House” this home is the oldest standing residence in Nantucket that dates back to 1686.
- Long Pond Trail – enjoy a 1.25 mile hike on this nature trail that offers scenic views and much landscape to take in.
- Bike Tours- experience the safe for all age’s bike tours in Nantucket, they offer pre-made tours or you can create your custom bike tour.
- Steamship Authority – two ferry options to enjoy a little scenic cruise on the ocean with family, great way to take in the views of Nantucket or to arrive there from Cape Cod.
- Secret Spot Nantucket – local waterman will take you on an adventure with stand-up paddle boarding, surfcasting and even fly fishing experiences.
- Theatre Workshop of Nantucket – enjoy a life theater performance at this public theater that’s been active since 1956 in Nantucket.
- Monomoy Charters – specializing in chartering large groups, the captain of this ship is a long time, 5th generation Nantucket native who enjoys educating others about ocean life.
- Ara’s Tours – enjoy a beautiful tour around Nantucket with Ara’s Tours who is known for their professional, friendly and prompt tour options.
- Shearwater Excursions – enjoy a whale watching trip, seal cruises, sunset cruise, whale history tour and much more while in Nantucket.
- Greater Light – enjoy the art housed at this residence that was once owned by two Quaker sisters from Philadelphia.
- ACK Sunset Sail – take a private sunset sail while on the waters of Nantucket Sound, a romantic way to end an evening with your partner.
- Old Gaol – if you enjoy seeing historical sites that were once a jail, this location will surely be a must see in Nantucket where they offer guided tours during certain hours.
- Altar Rock – enjoy the views with a cocktail to end your evening in Nantucket where you can see planes coming in for landing while relaxing at this location.
- Nantucket Founders Burial Ground – you’ll have to be up for an adventure visiting this area as the markers aren’t easy to find and the road is slightly hidden.
- Fire Hose Cart House – a very cool location with not much to do other than view the two old fire carts located at this Nantucket location.
There you have it, 25 things to do in Nantucket. Each of these ideas will surely offer up something for the entire family to enjoy. There is so much history to be enjoyed in Nantucket, I sure hope you’ll think about planning a summer trip to Nantucket soon.