I love starting my day with a delicious smoothie. I am not a big fan of eating first thing in the morning, so smoothies give me the energy boost I need to get my day going, but don’t leave me feeling overly full. The thing is, this carrot cake smoothie tastes more like a decadent dessert than a nutritious way to start the day. The natural sweetness of the orange and carrots are balanced by a couple of complementary spices – and the homemade coconut whipped cream serves as the perfect finishing touch.
This smoothie is ready in just 10 minutes and makes 2 servings (so you can have seconds!!).
Carrot Cake Smoothie with Coconut Whipped Cream
Coconut Whipped Cream Ingredients:
1 13.5-oz. can coconut milk, chilled
1-2 T. maple syrup (optional)
1 t. orange zest (optional)
1 c. coconut milk
1 large banana, cut into chunks and frozen
2 large stalks celery, roughly chopped
1 large orange, peeled
4 large carrots, roughly chopped
¾ t. cinnamon
¾ t. ground allspice
½ t. ground nutmeg
4-6 ice cubes
Cinnamon to garnish (optional)
Here’s what you do:
- Chill coconut milk in refrigerator for several hours or overnight. To prepare, remove can from refrigerator without shaking or turning and remove lid. Scoop out the solidified “cream” from the top of the can and transfer to a mixing bowl. Reserve remaining liquid coconut milk to use in smoothie.
- Add maple syrup and orange zest, if desired, to mixing bowl and blend until light and airy. Allow coconut cream to warm up slightly before blending if lumps persist. Cover and place bowl in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Add the coconut milk and frozen banana to a high-speed blender and blend until smooth, around 30 seconds.
- Add celery, orange, carrots, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and ice cubes. Blend on high speed until completely combined and creamy, approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Pour into glasses and top with a scoop of coconut whipped cream. Garnish with a dash of cinnamon or finely chopped walnuts, if desired, and serve immediately. Enjoy!
Hope you love this Carrot Cake Smoothie as much as I do. Take my word for it, the Coconut Whipped Cream makes it!