Summer is almost here and for my family that means one thing – the beach. We get a season parking pass for the beach and will be there all summer long. One of the things my boys really like doing while they’re at the beach is to collect things they find. Sand dollars, star fish, shells, rocks, hermit crabs…you name it and they will spend hours searching for them. One of the things there seems to be an abundance of here in New England are clam shells. When my boys collected a huge bucket of clam shells recently, I had a brilliant idea. I would make a fun clam critters craft out of them. So that’s what I did and I am pretty happy with the way they came out.
Clam Critters Craft
Here’s what you need:
- Large googly eyes
- Brightly colored craft paint
- Paint brushes
- Hot glue/hot glue gun
Here’s what you do:
1. Paint the outside of two shells that are around the same size the same color and let dry. If you happen to get lucky at the beach, you might just find ones that are still attached, but that doesn’t happen too often. Chances are you will have to find two that are similar in size and then glue them together.
2. When your shells are dry, carefully glue the back edges together using your hot glue (you will have to hold them slightly open until the glue dries).
3. Then glue two googly eyes to the front opening of the clam critters.
4. Make as many different colors as you’d like, you could even paint each one multiple colors. Get creative!
Have you ever done a craft project using treasures you’ve found at the beach? If not, this clam critters craft is a fun way to get started. There is so much you can do with clam shells and beach rocks, but this is one of my favorites.