St. Patrick’s Day will be here before you know it – it’s already less than a month away. When my boys were little, they always loved it when I pull out our craft bucket because it always meant something fun was about to happen! Making Leprechaun Rocks was one of those fun things we made every year and today I want to show you how to make them. They are super easy to make and the kids always love them (because who doesn’t love anything covered in glitter?). If you’re in need of a fun and easy St. Patrick’s Day craft idea, look no further than these Leprechaun Rocks.
Here’s what you need:
- River Rocks or Stones (you can find them at Dollar Tree if you don’t have access to a beach or river to collect your own)
- Fine or Extra Fine Gold Glitter (you can find it at any craft store like Michael’s or Hobby Lobby)
- Mod Podge (matte finish)
- Craft Foam Brush
- Newspaper to cover you work area (optional, but highly recommended)
Here’s what you do:
1. Cover your work surface with newspaper. This step assists with an easy clean up once you are finished.
2. Using your foam brush paint a thin layer of mod Podge onto a rock or stone.
3. While the Mod Podge is still tacky, lightly sprinkle some of the gold glitter over the area where the Mod Podge is applied.
4. Gently tap the rocks to remove excess glitter and avoid clumps. Be sure to let the area dry completely.
5. Once the first area is dry you can work on other sections of the rock until the entire rock is covered in glitter. (I started with the top then worked on the sides then flipped over to do the bottom).
6. Once your rocks are completely dry you can coat the entire rock with a thin layer of Mod Podge (don’t worry, it dries clear) to seal the glitter. This will keep glitter from rubbing off onto other surfaces. You’re welcome!
Easy enough, right?
Are you going to make your own Leprechaun Rocks this year? They are a fun way to add some St. Patrick’s Day flair to your home this year.