Traditionally, Easter baskets are filled with candy treats like chocolate bunnies, jelly beans , Peeps and chocolate-marshmallow eggs. Oh, and that Easter basket grass that gets everywhere and kills your vacuum cleaner.
If you are wanting to celebrate the arrival of the Easter Bunny sans the trip to the dentist, than there are plenty of options that are just as fun for the kids. If you have little boys like I do and aren’t sure what to put in their basket this year besides candy, here is a list of suggestions to get you inspired:
- One of the easiest routes to go with is his interests. Does he love cars and trucks? How about a Hot Wheels themed Easter basket?
- Lots of boys are enamored with creepy-crawly bugs, snakes and the like. If you have a bug-catcher on your hands, then why not fill his basket with a butterfly net, a container for specimens and a book all about insects that can help him identify the local neighborhood bugs? Throw some fun stickers in the basket and voila!
- Have a pirate Easter. Make it a fun treasure hunt, leaving a trail of clues (eggs?) that will lead to his very own Pirate-themed Easter basket!
- Help him unleash his creative side with a basket full of art supplies including paints, crayons, clay and maybe some how-to art books.
- Welcome Spring with a gardening basket, or get ready for Summer with a beach basket, complete with a towel, sand bucket and shovel, and maybe some fun new swim shorts.
- For your little sports fan, a new mitt and ball, or other sports gear can make a winning Easter basket that your little guy can enjoy all Summer long.
- If you still want to include some treats in the basket, you can do that too. Either put a small amount of candy in there, or some healthy snacks that he enjoys.
These are just a few ideas to get your imagination going. Easter does not have to involve tons of candy to be fun and festive! There are plenty of alternatives to candy, and you will be much happier when it comes time for his dental check-up!