I was cleaning out my cabinets recently and came across a box of red velvet cake mix. I don’t even remember buying it to be honest, but it was getting close to the expiration date so I figured I better use it up before it went bad. I originally thought about making cupcakes out of it, but when I went grocery shopping a tub of cream cheese frosting caught my eye and all of the sudden a light bulb went off. I was going to use the cake mix to whip up some yummy Red Velvet Whoopie Pies.
Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
Here’s what you need:
- 1 box of Red Velvet cake mix
- 1/2 Cup of Flour
- Tub of Cream Cheese frosting
Here’s what you do:
1. Mix the Red Velvet Cake Mix according to the directions on the box. Add 1 cup of flour to the mixture because that make the mixture a bit thicker – and that’s exactly the consistency you need for a good whoopie pie!
2. Drop spoonfuls of the cake mix on a cookie sheet, about 2 inches apart.
3. Bake them for 15 minutes at 350 degrees and be sure the let them cool completely.
4. Spread your desired amount of cream cheese frosting on one side of the whoopie pie and then top with another whoopie pie (to make a sandwich) and that’s it – your whoopie pies are now ready to be devoured.
I know, this was kind of a shortcut because I used cake mix instead of making them from scratch, but hey – I am a busy mom. Sometimes I don’t have time for that and like I said, I did have the cake mix to use up anyways.
I was really happy with how easy these were to make and believe me, they were delicious. Seriously!
I hope you get a chance to make some Red Velvet Whoopie Pies for yourself!