Do you ever find yourself needing something to bring to a cookout or party last minute? My mother always taught me to never show up to a gathering empty handed, so I refuse to walk in to a party without something. I’ve been a complete scatterbrain this summer and have been forgetting to mark events down on my calendar. Twice so far I have gotten a text from a family member saying how excited they are to see me and the family to such and such party today. And of course since I didn’t put such and such event into the calendar on my phone, I immediately go into panic mode. Not wanting to always be “that” person who brings the bag of ice, I decided that I was going to get a little creative and come up with something easy and delicious to bring with me when one of these events comes up last minute: Lemon Ice Cream Cake!
My Lemon Ice Cream Cake isn’t super fancy, but it’s better than showing up with a bag of ice, right?
Lemon Ice Cream Cake
Here’s what you need:
- 1 13 ounce lemon pound cake
- 1 pint of vanilla ice cream
- 1 ½ cups of cool whip
- ½ cup of fresh blueberries
Here’s what you do:
1. Slice pound cake length wise in half, then proceed to cut the halves in half once more to create four slices.
2. In a plastic wrap lined bread pan add in the first cake slice, top with a third pint of ice cream, continue layering cake and ice cream.
3. Wrap cake with plastic wrap and freeze it for a minimum of six hours.
4. Unwrap cake and place on a platter, quickly frost with cool whip and blueberries. You can either serve it right away, or freeze it until it’s ready to serve.
This will make 6-8 slices.
This Lemon Ice Cream Cake is a perfect last minute dessert and it was a huge hit at the party I brought it to.