If you are anything like me, your Swiffer is your best friend. I use mine every single day of my life. Between the dust that my forced hot air heat blows out in the winter, the dog and the messes my boys track in – I would be completely lost without my Swiffer. Ok, maybe not lost, but my house would be in a constant state of messiness. Since I use my Swiffer daily, the disposable pads that are needed to clean with them were adding up fast. Even when I bought in bulk, I was spending tons on the disposable pads and since my house gets so dirty, there was no way I could use them more than once.
But I recently came up with the solution for that problem. I made my own reusable pads to use and love all the money I am saving not buying the disposable pads. The reusable pads are really easy to make and you can use any cute fabric you like to make them.
Here’s what you need to make your reusable Swiffer pads:
- Any flannel fabric
- Any cotton fabric
- Sewing pins (optional)
- Sewing scissors
- Measuring tape
- Sewing machine
Here’s what you do:
1. Wash, dry, and iron your fabric to prevent any shrinkage (this is a must, you don’t want your Swiffer pads to go to waste)!
2. Measure and cut a 8 1/2″ X 11″ piece of fabric from your flannel.
3. Repeat step two with your cotton fabric.
4. Place the backs of each fabrics together, lining them up evenly.
5. (Optional step) if your not the best at sewing and you want to ensure your edges get lined up evenly, pin around all four sides with sewing pins.
6. Sew along all four sides, making sure to do a back stitch at all corners and ends.
7. Trim off any loose threads.
Set your Swiffer on top of the cotton piece of fabric (you will be using the flannel side to clean) and tuck the four corners into your Swiffer.
Use can spray a wood flood cleaner directly onto the floor to use as a wet pad, or with out to use as a dry pad. When your finished, toss in the washer.
If you don’t do laundry every day, make a few and that way you will always have one handy. Especially if you use your Swiffer at least once a day like I do.