I spend a fair amount of time in craft stores. Sometimes as I am walking through the store, something catches my eye and it gets my wheels turning. I was at Michael’s recently and saw these clear glass light bulb ornaments and I knew I could make something cool out of one of them. After spending a few minutes on Pinterest (ok, it was more like a few hours…). I came up with the idea to make a DIY Snowman Ornament out of my light bulb ornament. The best part is that you only need a few supplies from the craft store to make your snowman ornament.
DIY Snowman Ornament
Here’s what you need:
- Glass or plastic light bulb ornament (you can get these at Hobby Lobby or Michael’s)
- White Pom-pom balls
- Puffy paint: black, orange, and brown
- Any color yarn for hanging
Here’s what you do:
1. Carefully take the top off your light bulb ornament!
2. Using your tweezers, start placing your white pom-poms inside the light bulb ornament.
3. Once your light bulb is filled all the way up to the top with pom-poms, place the top back on by pinching the prongs together and placing them inside the glass. Very carefully push the top back on into place.
4. Next tie a piece of yarn in the top metal piece (this will be your hanger).
5. Using your orange puffy, paint on a triangle shape in the middle of the light bulb for the nose.
6. Using the black puffy paint paint two dots for the eyes and several dots in the shape of a smiley face for the mouth.
7. The last step is to paint long lines on the sides of the light bulb to look like stick arms, with 3 finger like paint strokes at the ends.
Let the dry for at least 4 hours, but it could be more depending on how thick your paint is. Once the paint is completely dry, your ornament is ready to be hung.
I am super happy with the way my DIY Snowman Ornament came out. It looks perfect on my Christmas tree!
Have you ever made your own ornaments before? Maybe you would like to make a DIY Snowman ornament, too?