I remember when I was growing up, one of my dad’s “things” was making homemade ice cream. It took him YEARS to perfect the consistency, but then again there was no such thing as the internet to scour for recipes back then. My kids are still baffled by the no internet thing, but if you’re my age – you know how to do things the hard way. #truestory
Anyhow, my dad would bust out his ice cream maker about once a month and eventually he perfected the recipe, but he usually only made traditional flavors like chocolate and vanilla. He wasn’t (and still isn’t) an adventurous eater, so he made what he liked and that was it. Come to think about it, there are many foods I never even tried until I was an adult and pumpkin is one of them (GASP!!). Fear not, though, because my palate has expanded quite a bit since I was a kid and have had the chance to try new foods. And lucky for my kids, they have been introduced to many of the foods that I was not as a child – like pumpkin.
Now that I am the mom, I have my own ice cream maker and can whip up this homemade pumpkin spice ice cream any time I want.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Ice Cream
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1 cup table cream
- 3 tbsp pumpkin puree
- ½ – 2/3 cup sugar (depending how sweet you want)
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice
Here’s what you do:
1. In a medium bowl, whisk all your ingredients together and cover tightly with plastic wrap.
2. Refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours.
3. When ready, give a good whisk and add to your ice cream maker.
4. Follow manufacturer’s instructions for the ice cream maker and then transfer your homemade ice cream in to an airtight container. Freeze until desired consistency.
5. ENJOY your homemade pumpkin spice ice cream!
If you love pumpkin, you are going to love this homemade pumpkin spice ice cream! I promise.