I love getting comments on my blog. Who doesn’t? It makes my day if I check my WordPress app on my iPhone while I’m out and about and there are a bunch of new comments on my posts. It’s really, really nice to know that people take the time to read whatever I’m rambling about on any given day and it’s a huge compliment when takes the time to leave a comment.
I know I have a whole bunch of lurkers out there and I’ll admit it, I am a lurker, too. A lurker is someone who stops by to read your blog, but never (or rarely) leaves a comment.
1. First and foremost, make it easy for people to actually leave you a comment. There is no need to make people jump though hoops to leave a comment on your post. Right now I am specifially referring to the captcha feature. You know, the box that pops up that forces you to type in some randomly absurd word before you can leave your comment. Captcha gets me all fired up and I even posted about it once before. There’s simply no need for it. It’s your blog – if you don’t like a comment, just delete it. But for god sakes, get rid of captcha.
2. Visit and leave comments on other peoples blogs. Thoughtful, sincere comments. Nine times out of ten they will stop by and visit your page. Not always, but often times they will. I am 100% guilty of not visiting & commenting enough and let me publically apologize for that. I try, I really do.
3. Engage the people who are leaving you comments – even the critical ones. When responding, think out what you’re going to say, especially if you’re responding to something you perceive as negative. I don’t respond to every single comment that I get, but I do respond to many of them via email (or on twitter). I think people like to know that the person on the other side of the computer is real and in my case, I am. I love to interact with people, so don’t be shy.
4. Sometimes I will leave a question at the end of my post to spark a conversation and I think that’s a good starting point for someone to leave you some feedback. For me, I actually really want to know what you think. Sometimes I learn new things or I’m simply just looking for another point of view.
5. Create a group of comment buddies. You know, you leave comments on all of their posts and they leave comments on all of yours.
So, I am hoping for lots of comments today 🙂
And speaking of questions…..do you have any tips for getting more comments to add to the list?