Around here macaroni salad is a staple during the summer time. There is almost always a bowl of it in the fridge all summer long. I know that there are about a million different variations, but I make my mom’s Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad. It’s what I grew up with and to me, it’s the best version of macaroni salad out there. It’s easy to make and it’s a perfect dish to bring to all your summer get-togethers this year. I promise you it will be a big hit!
Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad
Here’s what you need:
- 16 oz box of Elbow macaroni noodles
- 4-5 Stalks of Celery
- 1 Large Sweet Onion
- 5-6 Large Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1-2 cups Mayonnaise
- ½-1 cup Sweet Relish
- Old Bay Garlic & Herb
- Parsley Flakes
- Olive Oil
Here’s what you do:
1. Boil the elbow macaroni noodles in a large pot of water with a few tablespoons of olive oil. Season your water with salt and cook until pasta is tender.
2. Strain the cooked pasta and put back in to pot. Place the pot into the fridge to allow the noodles to cool.
3. Wash the celery stalks and cut into thin slices.
4. Dice up your sweet onion into small pieces.
5. Chop the hard boiled eggs into one inch pieces.
6. Once the noodles are cool, add in the mayonnaise, relish and spices. You can add more or less depending on your own individual tastes.
7. Add in the sliced celery, diced sweet onion and chopped egg. Stir into macaroni salad.
8. Allow the macaroni salad to rest in fridge for at least one hour before serving.
Like I said, my Old Fashioned Macaroni Salad recipe is definitely my favorite, but I want to know how you make your macaroni salad? Let me know in the comments what ingredients you add to your macaroni salad.