Whenever I host a cookout, I always make some Old Fashioned Potato Salad to serve to my guests. It’s just like the potato salad that my mom used to make. Potato salad is a summer staple around our house and often times I will double the batch so that I am guaranteed to have some leftover.
Old Fashioned Potato Salad
Here’s what you do:
- 5 lb bag of Potatoes
- 4-5 Stalks of Celery
- 1 Large Sweet Onion
- 5-6 Large Hard Boiled Eggs
- 1-2 cups Mayonnaise
- ½-1 cup Sweet Relish
- Old Bay Garlic & Herb
- Parsley Flakes
Here’s what you need:
1. Wash the potatoes and place them in large pot whole with the skin left on.
2. Boil the potatoes for 8 to 12 minutes or until they are tender when pierced with a fork.
3. Strain the potatoes and allow them to cool. Once they are cool enough to touch, peel off the skin, but you can leave the skin on if you prefer (I peeled mine off). Once the skin is all peeled off, allow the potatoes to cool entirely. You can speed up the process by placing them in the fridge.
4. Wash the celery stalks and cut them into thin slices.
5. Dice up the sweet onion into small pieces.
6. Chop the hard boiled eggs into one inch pieces.
7. Once potatoes are completely cool, dice them into 1 inch pieces and add them to a large mixing bowl.
8. Add in your mayonnaise, relish and spices. You may add more or less depending on your own individual tastes. Gently stir into the potatoes, but don’t stir too much or you’ll break apart the potatoes.
9. Add in the sliced celery, diced sweet onion and chopped egg. Stir into potato salad.
10. Allow potato salad to rest in fridge for at least one hour before serving.
My Old Fashioned Potato Salad is always a hit. I know everyone has their own recipe for potato salad, but why not give this Old Fashioned Potato Salad a try sometime? It’s so good!