The 4th of July is coming up quick and whether you are heading out for a cookout with family and friends, or staying home and having one with your family – you need a dessert. A lot of prep and planning usually goes into the food for the cookout, but sometimes desserts are an after thought (well, at least in my case). If you’re planning a cookout or attending one, these Patriotic Cocoa Krispie Bars are a quick and easy dessert solution. Everyone will love them. Guaranteed.
Patriotic Cocoa Krispie Bars
Here’s what you need:
- 1 tablespoon light margarine
- 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marshmallow fluff
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 cups Rice Krispies (regular, not the cocoa kind)
- Tub of vanilla frosting
- Red and blue food coloring
Here’s what you do:
1. Start by spraying a 9×13 baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. Melt the margarine and chocolate in a large saucepan over low heat. Then add in the marshmallow fluff, cocoa and vanilla. Stir until smooth.
3. Remove from heat and add in the cereal, stirring until the cereal is well coated.
4. Spread mixture in the pan, pressing it down evenly.
5. Let cool for about 20 minutes before you frost them.
6. When you are ready to add the frosting, add a small amount of the vanilla frosting to 3 separate Ziploc bags.
7. Leave one white and add a few drops of blue food coloring to one and red to the other.
8. Snip a little bit off of the bottom corner of all three of the Ziploc bags and apply the frosting how ever you like on top of the bars in the pan.
9. Cut the bars into small squares and serve.
Everyone loves Rice Krispie treats, so I’m sure these will be gone in no time!
If you are looking for a quick and easy dessert for your 4th of July cookout, these Patriotic Cocoa Krispie Bars are exactly what you’re looking for.