If you are looking for an easy to make, hardy dinner, you will love this easy Shepherd’s Pie recipe. Using just a few basic ingredients, you can prepare this dish ahead of time and just pop it on the oven when ready. In less than an hour, you will have a one dish meal that the whole family is sure to love. Take a look!
Here’s what you need:
- 2 pounds of ground beef
- ¼ cup of Worcester sauce
- 1 packet of brown gravy mix
- 1 cup each of frozen or canned peas, carrots, and corn
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cans of croissant dough
- 2 cups of mashed potatoes (prepared, these can be homemade, boxed, or instant varieties)
Here’s what you do:
1. Brown your ground beef until cooked. Drain the grease and return to the pan.
2. Add the Worcester sauce as well as the gravy packet. Mix well.
3. Lay the ground beef in a baking dish (ungreased) so it is an even layer.
4. On top of the ground beef, create a layer of vegetables. Gently pour on your corn, carrots, and peas into even layers directly on top of the meat.
5. On top of the vegetables, add a layer of cheese. Sprinkle an even layer over the entire top.
6. Now, add your mashed potatoes. Spread prepared mashed potatoes over the top. We like to use instant potatoes as they taste great and are so easy.
7. Finish the pie off by unwrapping two canisters of croissants. Lay the dough on top of the pie, gently pulling it to cover the entire dish as you do.
8. Sprinkle the top of the dough with a tablespoon of shredded cheese.
Bake the Shepherd’s Pie at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until the crust is golden brown. Remove when done and allow the pie to cool for 15 minutes. This resting time will also help it stay intact better when you go to cut it.
Serve your easy Shepherd’s Pie with a salad and you have the perfect meal!
What’s your favorite go-to make ahead meal?