What’s worse after a long day of traveling than standing in a long line at the airport waiting to pick up your rental car? I always dread coming off of a long flight to have to search for the rental car counter and then wait forever for the long process to be over with- nevermind all the upsells they try to push on me once I am there. Having just gone through the rental car process in July when I was in Charleston (longggg lines and tons of paperwork), I said to my husband that there HAS to be a better way to get a rental car. Well, it turns out that there is and it’s called Silvercar.
With Silvercar there are no lines and no paperwork. Yes, you read that right – no lines or paperwork!! Everything is done on their app and right now Silvercar is available in 24 cities across the US. I had a chance to try out renting a car through Silvercar when I was in Orlando last week and let me tell you, it’s a game changer when it comes to renting a car.
I downloaded the Silvercar app about a month ago to reserve my car. On the app, I had to provide my credit card information, the dates & times I would need the car for (obvi) and complete my profile (my license information, etc). On the day that I arrived, they texted me with instructions on how to pick up my car. In Orlando, the Silvercar lot is off site, so once I arrived in Orlando I texted Silvercar (per their instructions) and they sent a WallyPark shuttle to come pick my family up at the airport and bring us to the lot to get our car. They sent clear instructions about where to go to get the shuttle, so we had no trouble getting to the pick up location. It was easy peasy.
After a short shuttle ride, we arrived at the Silvercar lot and were met by a Silvercar representative. He let us pick out which Audi we wanted and gave us a quick overview of the features that the car was equipped with. The Audi A4 sedan or Audi Q5 SUV were our choices, but we went with the Q5 because we had a lot of luggage with us and wanted to make sure there was enough room for us and all our bags.
We did a quick walk through around the car to make sure there were no damages and once that was done, the car was unlocked by using the app – and we were on our way within minutes. It was such an easy process. My favorite part is that there were no upsells like I usually get at rental car places!
Oh, and the Audi Q5 came with tons of awesome features that we loved using while we had it.
- MMI® color display — a central display on the dashboard, offering driver and passengers interactive functionality with many of the Audi’s advanced technology systems, including navigation, audio, vehicle options, and more.
- MMI touch zone — use the touchpad (in the Q5) or the top of the knob (in the A4) to interact with the MMI display. You can “write” your entry, rather than using a keypad, and navigate maps with the swipe of a finger. Delete by swiping your finger from right to left; make a space by swiping your finger from left to right.
- Audi smartphone interface — enables Apple CarPlay or Android Auto to connect compatible smartphones with the vehicle. Control your phone with the MMI, steering wheel controls, or your voice to access features such as navigation, phone, and music, as well as certain apps.
- Audi music interface with two USB ports for data and charging connection — the ports are located in the center console, under the armrest.
- BLUETOOTH® wireless technology preparation for compatible devices
- BLUETOOTH® streaming audio for compatible devices
- Keyless engine start/stop
- Rear view parking camera — supplement your view by using the rear view parking camera; the red line will show how close the rear bumper is to an obstacle.
- Heated seats for driver and front passenger
- All of their cars come equipped with Wi-Fi (which my boys LOVED!!).
Traveling with littles? Silvercar offers the premium Peg Perego Primo Viaggio Convertible and the Peg Perego Viaggio Flex Booster car seats at no additional charge. To request a child seat, please contact them at least one day before the start of your reservation by submitting a car seat request.
In the Orlando area, there are tons of tolls. Our Audi came with a toll transponder, which in Florida is called the SunPass. We were able to go through the SunPass lane (versus the cash only lane) at all the tolls we had to pass through along our way. Silvercar only charges you for the tolls you go through, not a flat fee like most other rental car companies. For me, it was just another reason to love Silvercar.
The return process was just as streamlined as the pick up process was. The drop-off took less than a minute and an e-receipt was emailed to me instantly. As with the pick up, we had to return the car to the WallyPark lot that we left from and then took a shuttle back to the airport. We were asked to fill the gas tank before we brought the Audi Q5 back with premium-grade fuel, but there were 3 gas stations by the WallyPark lot, so that was easy, too.
If you want to seriously streamline your rental process by renting an Audi from Silvercar, grab the app (available on iOS and Android) and do it. It’s a much better way to rent a car, believe me. I am seriously considering planning my next vacation around the cities that Silvercar is available in.