Nothing warms me up on a chilly winter day better than a warm bowl of soup. Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is my all time favorite soup and I make it quite a bit once the weather gets cooler. It’s pretty easy to make and it’s soooo good.
Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
Here’s what you need:
- 1 lb Broccoli
- 2 Large Carrots Shredded
- 1 Sweet Onion
- 1 lb Cheddar Cheese
- 1 cup Butter
- 60 oz Chicken Broth
- 1 cup Milk
- Salt & Pepper to taste
Here’s what you do:
1. Cut your broccoli into 1 – 2 inch pieces. Remove the tough outer layer from the stalk and cut that part up as well. Boil your broccoli in a large pot until it’s tender but still has a bite to it. Add salt to the water to season.
2. While you boil your broccoli, dice up your sweet onion into small pieces. After dicing your onion, add the onion to 1 cup of butter in a large pot on medium heat.
3. When your broccoli is done, drain it and set it aside.
4. Once the onion is soft and translucent, add in the broth and milk.
5. Stirring constantly, slowly add the cheese. Keep stirring until all of the cheese has melted.
6. Next add the broccoli and the shredded carrot.
7. Add a little bit of salt and pepper to taste.
8. Pour 1 cup of cold water and 1 tablespoon of cornstarch into a glass measuring cup. Mix thoroughly. Add 1 more tablespoon of cornstarch at a time to this mixture until your mixture is thick but still liquid. Slowly pour this mixture into your hot soup, stirring constantly.
9. Add cornstarch mixture until your soup has reached the desired consistency. Cook soup for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
10. Garnish your cooked soup with extra cheese and serve with a toasted baguette. Yum.
This Broccoli and Cheddar Soup is as good as it looks, trust me. So yummy!
I have had a lot of Broccoli and Cheddar Soup recipes over the years and I am confident in saying that this one is the best I have ever had. Hope you like it, too.