Grilled cheese sandwiches are pretty popular in my house. You can’t really go wrong with a sandwich full of melted cheese I suppose…. Anyways, since I make them so often (and often really is an understatement because I make grilled cheese sandwiches almost every single day), I recently decided to change things up by making a Unicorn Grilled Cheese.
As a general rule, neither of my boys are impressed by this whole unicorn food trend that’s all the rage these days, but I thought I could pull one over on them by making a unicorn grilled cheese. I was wrong. My youngest thought it was cool for about a half of a second, but quickly shrugged it off. The big one literally couldn’t have cared less and just ate his sandwich in one big bite like he normally does. Oh well, at least I thought they came out cool.
Unicorn Grilled Cheese
Here’s what you need:
- 2 slices of bread, your choice
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella and provolone cheese blend
- 3 colors of food coloring
- Softened butter
- Large skillet
Here’s what you do:
1. Separate your cheese evenly into 3 separate bowls and add 1 drop of a separate food coloring into each one. Mix until the cheese is evenly coated in a color.
2. Spread a good amount of butter on to one side of each piece of bread.
3. Place one piece of bread butter side down and sprinkle your cheese into thirds on your bread until the bread completely is covered in cheese.
4. Place your second piece of bread butter side up on top of the cheese. Cook until golden brown on each side flipping with a spatula.
5. Cut in half (because god forbid I don’t cut their sandwiches in half) and enjoy!
I hope you enjoy your Unicorn Grilled Cheese sandwich. It’s a fun way to make one of your favorites a little more colorful.