No matter what time of year you choose to visit Boston there are plenty of activities to entertain you during your visit. If you haven’t planned your trip just yet you might want to consider checking out some of these activities before you book! There are seasonal activities in Boston to suit any taste, some are perfect for a family outing while others would make a wonderful date night. I’d be the first to tell you that making more than one trip to Boston so you can take advantage of all these great seasonal activities is a great idea.
As with most places in the Northeast, Boston is in full bloom during the spring. Nothing says “get out and explore” quite like the crisp spring air. Warm sunny days invite you to get out and enjoy the beauty of springtime in Boston. These are some of the awesome activities you can enjoy during the spring in Boston.
- The Boston Marathon: 3rd Monday of April
- The Duckling Parade: Mother’s Day
- Check out the fresh blooms in the Arnold Arboretum
- Hop a ride on the Old Town Trolley
- Freedom Trail walking tours will take you past 16 of the most historical sites in Boston
- St. Patrick’s Day Parade is a big deal in Boston…in case you didn’t know!
- Boston International Film Festival: typically during mid April
Summer in Boston is full of seasonal activities. There are sporting events taking place during the week and weekends, and the city is buzzing with the tourists and locals out enjoying the sunshine. If you are planning to visit Boston in the summer these are some must see attractions.
- Boston Harbor Islands Ferry Cruise
- Hit up Blue Hills Bank Pavilion, Fenway Park, and Gillette Stadium for some awesome summer concerts
- Boston Whale Watching Cruises
- Independence Day Celebrations are also a pretty big deal in one of the oldest cities in the USA!
- Garden tours are amazing during the summer while everything is in full bloom
The northeastern United States is known for it’s beauty during the fall. Boston is no exception. There are, of course, plenty of places to check out the foliage but you can also catch some other fun activities happening during the fall in Boston.
- Salem Witch Museum is the perfect Halloween themed destination
- Boston Children’s Museum has special fall installations
- The Freedom Trail Walking Tour will get you up close and personal with the changing leaves and Boston’s most historic locations
- Day of the Dead Celebrations at the Peabody Museum
- Fright Fest at Six Flags New England is close by and a great option if you have a day to spend at the park!
- Charles Riverboat Cruises are gorgeous during the fall
- Brewery Tours are in full swing during the fall and especially during October
- The Berklee Beantown Jazz Festival
- Opening our Doors – Fenway Fest
- The Boston Book Festival
You might think that traveling to Boston in the Winter is a silly idea. Sure, it’s cold and blustery sometimes but for the most part Boston is as beautiful (if not more so) during the winter as it is any other time of the year. If you will be in the area, these are some of the most popular things to do in Boston in the winter!
- Skiing locations in and around Boston are great during the winter…even if you don’t like to ski!
- Ice Skating on Frog Pond
- “Frost Bite” sailing
- Sledding at Boston Common
- Self-Guided Winter Walking Tours
- Catch a show in the theater district
- Take a Boston Brewery Tour
- Or a Trolley Tour with the family
No matter when you decide to visit Boston…or if you decide to visit more than once…there are plenty of activities for you and your family to enjoy!